MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Blown Turbo & Slowboys Reputation? (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9036)

howslowcanyougo 10-02-2005 09:46 PM

Blown Turbo & Slowboys Reputation?

Believe it or not I was driving my Godson to Church this morning and boosting a little bit cause we were running late, and then suddenly I heard a LOUD blowoff sound except my foot wasn't off the gas! Then the car started stumbeling, running slow and weak for the next mile or so to our Church. I thought that I just lost a IC clamp or just caught a large boost leak, but my wife said I was starting to blow blue smoke? I got the car back home, and gave it a once over and couldnt see any clear boost leaks or couplers-clamps hanging off etc. I took the intake off to start a boost leak test and checked for shaft play and the damm 90 day old $1000 turbo is loose as a goose, with the shaft play is now wobbly as hell. I really did wonder about the integrity of this turbo from day one as whenever you'd run a boostleak test you could here air bubbling in the oil pan as it blew by the seals. I just spent most of Sat finally installing the PLXM300, and finally was ready for a nice tune, and now this crap! Anyway, that's the emotional vent, here's the real question: Has anyone else had any issues with Slowboy's Turbo's? and or service from "Crager?" Damm I really hope they do the righ thing here and at least repair it? Think they will they stand by their work?

Comments welcome....?

TIA.....Howie

AJ 10-02-2005 09:59 PM

Re: Blown Turbo & Slowboys Reputation?

I've heard of good and bad. Head over to tuners and do a search to see if you find anything relevent to this. And call them first thing tomorrow.

Jakey 10-02-2005 10:08 PM

Which turbo do you have again Howie?

scheides 10-03-2005 08:37 AM

I haven't had the best service from slowboy, I'll say that.

howslowcanyougo 10-03-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakey
Which turbo do you have again Howie?

a "Bastard 20G"........TD05 housing with a 50 trim exhaust and a 20G comp wheel, it ran a bit laggy on my auto but it had a strong top end, atleast until Sunday morning.........:-<

Onefast99gsx 10-03-2005 11:27 AM

That turbo should have a warranty. I had bad seals on mine. Bought it 6 months ago. Sent it back and had it fixed under the warranty terms. Only cost me for the shipping to get it there. It is a PTE turbo but any large retailer should stand by there product and honor a warranty. SlowBoy is pretty big. I had it there and back in my hands in 7 days.

howslowcanyougo 10-03-2005 12:28 PM

I just talked with "Craiger". He said write up exactly what happened, and ship the turbo back, they will take a look at it and then determain if the failure is under warranty. Sounds fair in one respect, but we will just have to see, as I know this turbo had good oil, Mobil1, good pressure, an RRE stainless tube run right off the new Fram Ultra fitler! I'll repost to the board when I hear back from them, one way or the other.

Thx.....

Shane@DBPerformance 10-03-2005 12:49 PM

Fram? no wonder :)

howslowcanyougo 10-03-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoli
Fram? no wonder :)

Not sure if it was fram, but it was some Ultra gard deal?

Maybe a puralator then?

Yeah, "Pure One" that was it!

Onefast99gsx 10-03-2005 01:47 PM

What's this mean, "an RRE stainless tube run right off the new Fram Ultra fitler"

Do you mean a Stainless braided line off the oil filter housing?

JET 10-03-2005 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onefast99gsx
Do you mean a Stainless braided line off the oil filter housing?

No, he punched a hole in the end of the oil filter and stuffed the line in there :rolleyes:

howslowcanyougo 10-03-2005 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET
No, he punched a hole in the end of the oil filter and stuffed the line in there :rolleyes:

And then I just tied an old rag around it all to hold the line on and sealed her up good.......:rolleyes:...........I maybe a lamer, but not quite THAT lame!

Onefast99gsx 10-03-2005 05:57 PM

Well hopefully you punched a hole in the filter that would shoot the filtered oil to the turbo and not the unfiltered. :)

slowbubblecar 10-04-2005 09:46 AM

I think I heard he used plenty of JB Weld