Thread: Tech threads
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007   #2
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Tech threads

Turbo sizing and results from John at LSE Performance
DSM
motor/setup options:

-2.0 stock motor, small FMIC, pump gas 92, AFC/DSMlink/EMS tuning, walbro 255, FPR, 660cc injectors, exhaust, LIPP o2 housing or similar(no creep)

-2.0 built, race FMIC, cams, SMIM, EMS, twin walbros, A1 research head studs, tubular race header to fit crazy turbo setups.

-2.4 built, race FMIC, cams, SMIC, EMS, etc

Turbo options:

-Evo3 16G the real thing from MHI not ebay ~18psi, hp is somewhere in the 200-260whp range

-PTE or similar 50trim T31 exhaust wheel internal gate, better if you can turn the boost up and have some timing control, so ARP's and DSMlink whould be a plus

-TDO6 20g great pump turbo 50trim might make more power on race gas.

-SC or SCM 61 T350 exhaust wheel, I would say pump gas with the right setup can make good power, but high boost is where this turbo will make the most power, built motor recommended, 2.4 would help for street driving.

-The big 67mm turbos, built motor, EMS, and a lot of other supporting mods, 2.4 would help for the street, with the right setup and exhaust wheel/housing this turbo could make 600whp on a DD with no corrections.

-GT4202, about that and if you need to look at Mitsu style to see if that is the turbo for you, think again.

3S

motor/setup options:

-stock 3.0
-stock rods weisco piston 3.0
-pauter rod weisco piston 3.0
-stock rod weisco or similar 3.5
-pauter or similar rod weisco or similar 3.5

-Tunning a 3/s look at nothing but the AEM EMS, no joke its about the only way to make good power with this car.

-Stock 9b turbos with basic bolt ons, EMS etc made 320awhp, if your 9bs are not bad try other mods that will carry on.

-13g turbos, no point

-15g turbos, this is a good pump gas setup for the 3/s
-tech 17gs are no good
-19ts or WRX turbos, very good pump gas setup with the right supporting mods

-DR series turbos, they work I guess but I will not recommend them to people.

-EVO3 16gs, the hot street setup but can and will make enough to power to start breaking stock engine parts. So a built motor of some kind and if you use ARP head studs use a lot of copper spray and torque the hell out of the studs and do not use them more then 2 times I would say, We have seen the heads lift at just over 600whp with evo3 16gs and the ARPs were torqued to 86lb/ft. On Josh's car they are over 100lb/ft and we were thinking they would hold about 712hp and they kind of held 720.2whp so we were close.

-50trims on paper should make more power then 16gs on race gas, 16g vs 50trim pump for pump the power was realy close on the setups, could make over 700whp with the right setup

-bigger, not to many have tried with good results, 61mm twins is the biggest you can run on a 6 cylender in the street tire class so that could be a good setup for race gas.

When sizing any setup for any car we look at what the car needs to do, what the customer wants the car to do, how much money they can spend, what are the future plans for the car/budget, and what kind of time frame, then we size the setup that will fit the major items the best and go from there. Also on the wastegate setup the waist gate does just what it says, wastes energy, internal is cheaper but you loose spool up and sometimes ability to run realy high boost. Normaly we only try to raise the boost 10 or less psi over waste gate spring pressure. So the external gate should be able to open later and if the waste gate spring is low enough you can turn the boost way down on bigger setups. DSMs I would think internal gates are fine on SC 61s or smaller turbos but if you are looking bigger then that I would look at an external waste gate.

~John