MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-23-2007   #61
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Drilling thermostat

The car seems fine at lower speeds, and worse at higher speeds. Just letting the car idle or sitting at stop lights lowers the temp.

As for the radiator, it did this on my old radiator, and this whole thing is the reason I bought the new radiator. Here is the one I have.
http://mishimoto.com/product_info.php?prod=mmrad-ecl-90 It's a couple months old.

I'll look into getting a new temp sensor asap. I'm going to update my first post as well to show everything I've done thus far so you don't have to siphon through a bunch of pages of crap.

Also, I have the thermostat currently completely removed.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #62
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Also, I have the thermostat currently completely removed.
That might be your whole problem right there. Unregulated water flow can cause overheating at higher rpms. No time for it to cool down in the radiator.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #63
Halon
Pewp Champion

It still does this, no matter if it's in there or not. I just took it out to give it a shot, and it still acted the same. Also, I guess I'm not sure what you mean by higher RPM's, but cruising on the freeway at 3500 rpm's is when this is the worst, and I wouldn't consider that high. I currently have 2 holes drilled in it. Maybe I'll just drill one more before I put it back in.
Old 08-23-2007   #64
1ViciousGSX
Admin

I meant off idle when the flow is higher.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #65
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
The car seems fine at lower speeds, and worse at higher speeds. Just letting the car idle or sitting at stop lights lowers the temp.
This means it is not a normal cooling problem. If you just had a lack of cooling, then it would get hot around town. Do you have an EGT guage? This is one of the times that one may come in handy. Is it possible that the DSMlink timing isn't set the same as the engine? Running too much timing will raise the temp, as will running too lean.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!

Last edited by JET; 08-23-2007 at 06:21 PM..
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #66
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

this might be dumb but are the fans going the right way. craig had the problem of overheating down the road and the fan blades were not on the right way to push air from the front.
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #67
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Yea Im with Jet, that is not a normal overheating problem, sounds like maybe its either the sensor or its too lean at part throttle higher rpms?
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #68
Halon
Pewp Champion

I completely agree that it's not normal. Every cooling problem that I've ever had was around town, and it got better on the freeways with more air flow. This is also exactly why I put a vent in the hood despite others telling me "no, fix the real problem". Like I mentioned above, cooling temps are directly proportional to my EGT temps, and so my goal was to get a vent to give that hot air building up right there a way out.. As my EGT's go higher, my coolant temps go higher. Cruising on the freeway, my EGT's average around 675C. I have no clue if that is normal or not. I'll have to look again, but cruising on the freeway I'm usually pretty close to stoich, right at about 15.0. As for the timing, I'll have to research, but I do run a bit of timing now with Link since I've been adjusting my E85 tune. But this problem has been going on before I ever touched the timing. I am going to go read up a little, but does my timing adjustments on DSMLink, are those implemented always, or only under WOT? Also, this is all on E85, which should actually have my engine running cooler. Very odd. I'm going to replace the sensor and go from there.